A Rock Inscription From Makkah Containing Qur'an 20:130, 84 AH / 703-704 CE
© Islamic Awareness, All Rights Reserved.
First Composed: 27th February 2001
Last Modified: 27th February 2001
Assalamu ʿalaykum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu:
Figure (a) original inscription, (b) its trace and (c) its contents.
84 AH / 703-704 CE.
Size & Script
62 cm x 98 cm. Written in kufic script
The translation of the inscription is:
- Oh Lord, spare Ḥakīm
- bin ʿAmmārah from disgrace! In the Name of [God]
- "So laud the praises of your Lord before the rising of
- the sun and before its setting,
- and during a portion of the night, and at the thresholds of
- the day, so that you may be pleased [with God's subsequent reward]". This was inscribed by
- Ḥakīm ibn ʿAmmārah in the year 84; may God pardon his sins. Amīn!
The inscription contains Qur'an 20:130.
Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
 Saʿd b. ʿAbd al-Azīz al-Rashīd, Kitabat Islamiyya Min Makkah al-Mukarramah, 1995, Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), pp. 55-57.
The images above are reproduced from the stated sources under the provisions of the copyright law. This allows for the reproduction of portions of copyrighted material for non-commercial, educational purposes.
With the exception for those images which have passed into the public domain, the use of these images for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited without the consent of the copyright holder.
Back To The Arabic & Islamic Inscriptions