A Rock Inscription From Makkah Containing Qur'an 56:28-40, 80 AH / 699-700 CE
© Islamic Awareness, All Rights Reserved.
First Composed: 3rd March 2001
Last Modified: 16 April 2013
Assalamu ʿalaykum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu:
Figure: (a) Original inscription and (b) its content.
80 AH / 699-700 CE.
Size & Script
100 cm x 110 cm. Written in kufic script.
The translation of the inscription is:
- "[They will be] among Lote tree without horns. Among Ṭalḥ trees
- with flowers, piled one above another; in shade long-extended; by water
- flowing constantly and fruit in abundance.
- whose season is not limited nor [supply] forbidden. And
- on couches raised high, We have created them of special creation.
- And made them pure [and undefiled], full of love [for their mates], equal in age. For the
- Companions of the Right Hand. What will be the Companions of the Right Hand.
- A [goodly] number from those of old. And a [goodly] number from those of later times."
- This was inscribed by ʿUthmān bin Wahran.
The dating of this inscription is based on the fact that ʿUthmān bin Wahran also left another inscription close by where he dated it to 80 AH / 699-700 CE.
The inscription contains complete Qur'an 56:28-40 as shown below with an addition of the phrase "What will be the Companions of the Right Hand" between verses 38 and 39 perhaps to give a fitting conclusion to the inscription.
Makkah, Saudi Arabia. Picture taken from here.
 Saʿd b. ʿAbd al-Azīz al-Rashīd, Kitabat Islamiyya Min Makkah al-Mukarramah, 1995, Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), pp. 164-165.
The images above are reproduced from the stated sources under the provisions of the copyright law. This allows for the reproduction of portions of copyrighted material for non-commercial, educational purposes.
With the exception for those images which have passed into the public domain, the use of these images for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited without the consent of the copyright holder.
Back To The Arabic & Islamic Inscriptions