Milestone Of Aqua Bella-ʿAyn Hemed From The Time Of ʿAbd al-Malik, 65-86 AH / 685-705 CE
© Islamic Awareness, All Rights Reserved.
First Composed: 10th November 2007
Last Modified: 10th November 2007
Assalamu ʿalaykum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu:
Figure: (a) original inscription, (b) and its contents. (c) Proposed reconstruction of the fifth mīl on the basis of the text and style of eighth mīl found at Bāb al-Wād and (d) its contents.
65-86 AH / 685-705 CE.
This milestone was found in the woods next to Aqua Bella-ʿAyn Hemed on the road between Jerusalem and coast.
Size Of The Slab
17 cm. x 27 cm. The inscription was incised into a marble slab 9.5 cm thick.
The translation of the inscription is:
- In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
- There is no god but God alone. He has no
- companion. Muḥammad is the Messenger of G
- od, may God bless him and give him peace.
- Has ordered the repair of this road
- and the manufacture of the milestones, the Ser
- vant of God ʿAbd al-Malik, Commander of
- the faithful, God's mercy be upon him.
- From Iliya [i.e., Jerusalem] to this milestone there are 5
The contents of this fifth mīl were reconstructed on the basis of the text and style of eighth mīl found at Bāb al-Wād.
The Israel Antiquities Authority, Jerusalem.
 K. Cytryn-Silverman, "The Fifth Mīl From Jerusalem: Another Umayyad Milestone From Bilād Al-Shām", Bulletin Of The School Of Oriental And African Studies, 2007, Volume 70, No. 3, pp. 603-610.
The images above are reproduced from the stated sources under the provisions of the copyright law. This allows for the reproduction of portions of copyrighted material for non-commercial, educational purposes.
With the exception for those images which have passed into the public domain, the use of these images for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited without the consent of the copyright holder.
Back To The Arabic & Islamic Inscriptions