P. Vindob. A 11191 – A Papyrus About Debt Settlement, 57 AH / 676-677 CE
© Islamic Awareness, All Rights Reserved.
First Composed: 24th August 2012
Last Updated: 4th April 2012
Assalamu-ʿalaykum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu:
Figure: (a) Picture of the papyrus and (b) its content.  encloses letters supplied to fill a lacuna.
57 AH / 676-677 CE.
13.5 cm x 14.5 cm.
P. Vindob. A 11191
The translation of text is given below.
- Until the end of (year) fifty [-seven ...
- ] to Amjad and Zayd b. Istiḥl(?) [...]
- ] ... testified [[... b .... and ... b.]] [...]
- ] two hundred [...] until the end of (year) fifty-seven. Their ⅓ part in Ḥawl.
- ] ... writing.
- ] dinars in the jurisdiction of believers until the end of (year) (fifty)-seven
- ] to Amjad and Zayd b.
- Istiḥl(?)] b. ʿUbayd from Banū Zuḥayn.
- ] this is due by Šara'iḥ b. Maʿlū[m?].
Written in black ink. Spots as distinguished above certain letters should not be taken diacritic points. Part of the line 3 has been deliberately erased, probably after the debt settlement.
The Austrian National Museum, Vienna.
 Y. Ragib, "Une Ère Inconnue D'Égypte Musulmane: L'ère De La Juridiction Des Croyants", Annales Islamologiques, 2007, Volume 41, pp. 187-207, esp. pp. 201-204.
The images above are reproduced from the stated sources under the provisions of the copyright law. This allows for the reproduction of portions of copyrighted material for non-commercial, educational purposes.
With the exception for those images which have passed into the public domain, the use of these images for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited without the consent of the copyright holder.
Back To The Arabic Papyri